Performing a dramatic website design ‘facelift’ for Toronto’s most successful plastic surgery clinic.
The Plastic Surgery Clinic is Toronto’s most notable and well regarded plastic surgery clinic without refute. With such an elite status comes unparalleled attention to detail, honest scrutiny and the requirement for incredible design and technical skill. On the recommendation of The Plastic Surgery Clinic’s well-regarded SEO expert, Parachute Design was invited to submit a medical clinic website design and development proposal to undertake a complete digital rebranding and technical overhaul of their tired and ageing website.
Following a few phone conferences and detailed sit-down meeting to review our proposal, PSC agreed to put their trust in our Toronto web design company to begin working with their internal marketing team and SEO expert to design and develop a brand new website.
Our Medical Website Design Goals
- A complete analysis and revamping of the website user experience – PSC had enjoyed high exposure for many years due to the sheer quality of their detailed website content. However, with recent changes to Google’s search index algorithm and the rise of mobile website design, it was time to revaluation the website analytics and apply a new website design and conversion strategy.
- A total website user interface redesign – our initial website analytics discovery and strategy work lead to a dramatic restructuring of the website’s navigation and content architecture all carefully woven into a new responsive website user interface design to engage the mobile audience that was previously ignored.
- Custom WordPress development – to allow PSC total control over managing their vast and varying website content elements and to support their substantial investment in search engine optimization and marketing a custom-tailored WordPress solution was required.
- Refined conversion strategy – our ultimate and most measurable goal within the website design overhaul was to entice more visitors to complete a ‘request for information’ or ‘book a free consultation’ form.
- Development of a new payment gateway – in a very forward-thinking move, PSC planned to include a secure e-commerce element to the new website to allow patients to pre-pay for their plastic surgery procedures online in advance.
- Implementation and support of their heavy SEO investment – working side by side with PSC’s established search engine optimization professional, we carefully planned a new website design, content and conversion strategy to enhance the website’s performance.
Our Medical Clinic Web Design Process
Our initial discovery work was somewhat unique with PSC compared to most other clients we’ve worked with previously. The original website featured such a vast library of content, both in-depth articles and multimedia that was already performing quite well regarding search engine optimization. In a scenario such as this, it’s imperative that our web designers and developers have extensive knowledge of the content, sitemap and current SEO activities happening within the website and ongoing search engine marketing plan.
As with all our website design projects, we began with our kickoff meeting, followed by our notable questionnaire to get both teams acquainted and sharing thoughts and personal vision for the website going forward. Through this experience, both teams are able to become more comfortable with one another, and our creative team is able to begin compiling feedback and direction for the strategy and website UI design phase to follow.
At this early stage in the project, our Toronto web design firm was granted access to PSC’s Google Analytics profile to begin studying the existing analytics to identify traffic sources, current user experience pain points and drop offs. The analytics information is crucial to understanding how website visitors are currently finding and engaging with the original website and what areas of the user experience we can improve upon to offer an even better experience for our client’s audience as well as organic search performance.
Web Design Strategy
Following our discovery phase with PSC, we moved on to the strategy element of the project. This phase is where everyone starts seeing the foundation of the new website come to life. We begin with a site mapping exercise that helps to understand where all of the content will live on the new website and how each section and page will link to each other concerning our revitalized navigational experience. The revamping of the sitemap is almost entirely born from our findings in the website analytics history. Site mapping is our opportunity to bring content forward that is currently experiencing little or less-than-desired exposure as well as address notable drop-offs in the user flow that often lead to inflated bounce rates.
Following approval of the new website map, our creative website designers sunk their teeth into wireframing. The wireframing stage is where everything starts to get real for our clients. Based on a combination of our extensive discovery work and years of experience to understand how information should be presented to different audiences and in different environments, we begin building a physical blueprint of the new website. Wireframing is our opportunity to explore ideas for page architecture and how the information will be prioritized on the new website. All of these elements are woven together to create the new and improved user flow and conversion strategy that has slowly come together since establishing our initial goals for the website. Essentially wireframing is a clear plan of how our web design team plans to achieve measurable objectives.
To provide PSC with the most accurate and life-like experience of our website design strategy, we shared the wireframe design in our online prototyping tool to allow everyone to click through and browse the wireframes as they would a typical website. Within the prototyping tool, PSC team members could markup, draw on or leave detailed comments right on the wireframes for our design team to review and act on right away. Over the years we’ve found this level of engagement offers our clients a much more thorough understanding of our web design strategy and keeps everyone accountable and involved in the decision making process. Perhaps most of the beneficial aspect of this process is a significant decrease in the number of design revisions needed to finalize the creative UI work to follow. Ultimately, this saves time, money and results in better-finished website design.